-->

5.06.2014

REVIEW: Benefit's 'They're Real' Mascara!

Hey guys! So i'm back today with a review for you all on the much raved about 'They're Real' mascara from Benefit cosmetics.


I've heard so much about this mascara ever since it came out and countless beauty bloggers and Youtubers rave about it as a holy grail product - I thought I'd review it today and give you my opinion on it!

So, firstly I really like the packaging of this product, for a higher end piece of makeup i think this fact is really communicated in the way it looks and although you're buying it for it's performance, that's still always nice.


On to the product itself: let's start with the brush. The brush is synthetic and quite thin in width, with this sort of spikey 'ball' on the end of it. It reminds me a little bit of the wand on L'Oreal's Telescopic mascara - though i don't find it as flexible. 


Before I tell you guys about my opinions of the formula and the mascara itself, I'll give you a little bit of insight onto my own lashes so that you will have a better idea of how this mascara will work for you. My eyelashes are super long (which I can't complain about) but are also unfortunately straight and thick. This means it's pretty darn impossible for them to hold curl and so I have difficulty finding any mascara that do this for me - even with the aid of an eyelashes curler before application. 

The formula and mascara itself really doesn't do a lot for me, I'm afraid. Yes, it's a a dark, rich black colour which is lovely - but the formula is far too wet and therefore it's so easy to smudge and get it on your eyelids. As well as this, perhaps due to the wetness of the formula, or even my thick lashes - the mascara clumps a lot even with a minimum of two coats. However, if I perhaps use a lighter hand and maybe only one coat, it may work a little better - I don't know yet but I'll keep you updated if I do ever get on with this product! The spiky ball on the end of the wand IS great for getting all those little lashes which is nice, but overall I'm just not impressed by this mascara.

L'Oreal Telescopic and a lot of the Maybelline Volum' Express mascara's are my all time favourites as they are the only mascara's I have used so far that do give me curl and don't clump. For me, I'd buy them again and again over Benefit's They're Real and for me, it's not at all worth the hype or the £18.50 price tag.

As I said though, I do have thick lashes and this may be a primary factor in the clumpy outcome the mascara produces for me - maybe it will work better on thinner lashes. This is something i've seen on a lot of other blogs and review I've read about this product, but I've also seen a lot of great outcomes from using it where the lashes really do look amazing and completely different.

For me, this is definitely a bit of a miss and I can't ever see myself repurchasing the mascara. Of course, if you want to give it a go - go for it, but i'd probably only recommend this to those with thin lashes. You can pick up this mascara from Boots and Department stores such as John Lewis or Debenhams. Boots also do the half price travel size of this mascara - maybe something you should give a go before buying the full size! I think maybe i'll wait till the formula tries out a little or try a different application technique and use the mascara again, but for now - I'm not a fan.

As always, thank you for reading and leave me any comments or suggestions down below! What do you think of this mascara?! I'd love to know.



Post a Comment

Beauty Bay

Latest Instagrams

© Levinia Jayne. Design by Fearne.